Wobbly Knees and a Grateful Heart


TDodds and I went on a little getaway trip last month. We desperately needed some time away together. To dream. To remember. To think. As you might recall, we love adventure... but lately, we enjoy adventure in much smaller doses. Sigh. Life. We LOVE traveling to see amazing things that God has created and we usually end up in tears marveling over His handy work.

On our way to stay in Ruidoso, NM, we took a little detour and stopped by the Carlsbad Caverns. Tyler had never been, and the last time I went I was in the third grade wearing purple scrunch socks, bike shorts, and a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. I think I had a fanny pack... but we won't go there.

We bravely decided to hike from the mouth of the cave down hundreds of feet to the bottom. I remembered there was a nice walking trail and it seemed to be really simple for my 3rd grade self, so why not?!?!
I think I said something like, "Oh sure! They say that to everyone! We are an adorable, 26 year old, vivacious couple! The hike can't be that strenuous and we certainly won't get weak knees!" I have to confess our pride... we took this photo because we thought it was really funny that they would put up such a ridiculous warning. About the time we were giggling about the sign, a very serious looking woman trudged past us dressed in hiking boots and khaki shorts with a camel bag for drinking water strapped to her back. I remember raising my eyebrows at TDodds' thinking... she's either a strict rule follower, or she's done this before. Might I mention we hadn't even made it to the mouth of the caverns yet. Oh pride.

It was so dark! And deep! And the trails were incredibly steep. We were half laughing... half crying by the time we reached the bottom. My knees were so wobbly I forgot what it was like to have regular knees.

But all sarcasm and silliness aside... the caverns are BEAUTIFUL. It was wonderful to see them as an adult, and the strenuous hike was well worth it! I was struck by the gigantic size of everything! And then I read in a brochure that the caverns have still not been completely explored. There is still more to be discovered! When I see the works of the Lords hands, gratitude wells in my heart. He reminds me of who He is! I can't explain the sheer wonder that I feel. It's rejuvenating and wonderfully relaxing. Anyone who is spurred to worship God by seeing his creation can understand!

Of course our sad iPhone photos don't do the scenes a bit of justice... but our knees were to wobbly and weak to snap many shots.

Changing subjects for a spell... where else could you find these works of art except for in New Mexico?? I think whoever the artist was missed the memo about "little green men." These guys were about 10 feet tall and carved out of tree trunks! Creepy.
After our Carlsbad excursion, we drove to Ruidoso and had a wonderful time. We had so much fun together talking and planning and scheming. We ate at the most wonderful places and shopped at the cutest boutiques! These were the only two photos we took the rest of the weekend. One night we were feeling extra sophisticated so we ordered an "everything on it" pizza and watched Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives on the Food Network for about four hours. Bliss.


How about you?? Been on any adventures lately??

Love ya to bits,
Bails

Comments

The Roberts' said…
So fun! I love Ruidoso. I appreciate the Roswell pic too. :-)
The Dodds said…
I knew you would Courtney!!

Popular Posts